Thursday, March 24, 2011

Triple play

Danger is in the air, everybody is trying to escape something. Our small fishing community is threatened by an unknown menace. Running up and down the coast with cheetah like speed, the morning light is beautiful and foreboding. I still don't know what I should be doing, but I've met up with two other survivors. All of us are strong swimmers; we take to the water. We swim until the afternoon sun shines down on us and we're finally getting tired.

The salty sea air calms me, and I feel safe. Just as I close my eyes my companions shout. There is a small fishing boat makes it's over to us. It's towing a even smaller orange life raft. Hope floods through us the moment we see survivors on the boat, and turns into confidence when we see the pillar of our community captaining the tiny flotilla. While the boat and life raft are full, the captain throws out another self-inflating life raft with a line attached to it. I quickly tie it to the fishing boat. We can't get onto the raft, our arms like jelly after swimming for so long. Our captain navigates the trawler towards the closest known sandbar to aid us in our boarding.

The sandbar is very close to the coast and when I stand up, the setting sun casts long shadows across the doomed land. A women from the trawler jumps onto the sand bar to help us. Unfortunately, the tide is going out and the tied together flotilla is pulled away from us. The woman and I are holding onto the trawler with everything we've got. No one seems to be aware of our struggle, but we manage to keep the trawler adjacent to the sandbar. My traveling companions barely manage to claw their way onto the raft and pass out almost immediately once on it. After hours of fighting the tide, it finally changes directions. Exhausted, the woman and I are forced to be content staying in the water, unable to muster the strength to pull ourselves onto the raft. We lock arms with the raft and each other to make sure that neither of us float away in the moonlight.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Searching for something in the woods by my house is yielding no results. I check under our extensive elevated deck. Built on a hillside I could probably get a better look at the woods from the second story south facing bedrooms. The snow is missing.

==========================================================

Friendship montage. Carol and I are talking about the past over the phone. Mostly we're reading each others blogs. We speculate on how different our lives would be if our romantic lives had been different. Alternate Universe montage, scenes of our alternate lovers flash through many domestic situations. How different our lives could have been be, so many different paths they could have taken, but only one path is reality. Friendship montage. Reading blogs, and emails, proof of our current reality, surely text wouldn't change if everything else did. We reassure each other that the alternate universe montage was a shared hallucination, even if it felt like we lived each of our different paths.

No comments: